Focused on current disaster events and dedicated to crisis management actors, the Damage Observation - Rapid Mapping service provides information support during response and immediate post-response by delivering rapid mapping products showing the extent and impact of the event.
This service is usually complementary to the service provided by the International Charter “Space and Major Disaster” (the Charter). Its primary objective is to deliver added-value information products based on the data delivered by the Charter. It may also be activated for events not relevant of the Charter.
The Rapid Mapping service is applicable to any type of disaster event (flood, fire, storm, landslide, earthquake, …) occurring in Europe, in the Mediterranean countries or in the rest of the world.
This service has an organization with permanent on duty personnel (24h/7d)
Within the Preview project framework, the objectives of the Damage Observation - Rapid Mapping Service are mainly:
- To increase present rapid mapping capacities by validating a new pre-operational chain for improved rapid mapping products,
- To ease the scientist access to real-cases data, via a data server,
- To make a link between the PREVIEW project and the GMOSS Network of Excellence.
Within Preview, the improvement of the Damage Observation Service will provide the following users benefits:
- Time delay reduction (a key point)
Limitation of human work in the processing (one ground control point will improve the delay for geographical processing)
- Improvement of service quality security
The accuracy for automatic registration between optical images is about a few percent (# 5%) of pixel. Such a good result is not achievable by a human operator (with ground control points).
This accuracy also improves the final quality of a the products (fusion of different images)
- Management of very major crisis
As we have seen with the Tsunami (or with Katrina), the impacted areas can be very large. The production can be limited by the human potential that the value added services can provide. Dispersion between different organisations can affect the service quality. Automated processes increase the production potential and facilitate the management of very large crisis.
Automated functionalities in the crisis image processing will decrease the costs of such functionalities. Today this service is financed by space agencies, but they should not. Costs limitation is an important point to maintain such services.
- Damage Observation Products: Rapid mapping products are ready to use maps of the disaster event including the extent, scale and possible impact of the event with superimposed cartographic information.